Saturday, July 30, 2005

Poetry Reward

Through the Door

You thought that I was special
You said I was the one
Now I've upped and left you
Through that door I've gone
Why wouldn't you believe me
When I said to you
That I couldn't stand having you
Lying in my bed
I shouldn't deny I love you
Cause that would not be true
It's just that I don't need you
Forever in my head
It's simply not the right time
Or even the right place
All I need at the moment
Is lots of my own space
I hope that you'll believe me
Because all I say is the truth
It was honestly a case
Of it being me and not of you.

copyright 2005 Jeremy Williams




Tell us a little about yourself, Jeremy. Where do you come from and what is your ackground?

Well, where to begin eally….I am Jeremy Williams, 22 and currently live in Birmingham, England having just graduated from Hull University. I am an aspiring actor (you can see me in the films Adam, Pizza For One and I have just been cast in Mr Sweetheart – also performing Aug. 23-29 at Edinburgh Festival in a play called Poppycock!) and a keen writer. For more details about me, you can visit http://www.starfishents.co.uk/jeremy.williams

Do you consider yourself a serious poet?

I really enjoy poetry but don’t know if it is me who has to consider myself a poet. I enjoy writing and hope that others might consider me a poet.


What inspires you to write, Jeremy?

Those around me and the emotions I feel. I try to write what is in my heart and mind.


What is poetry to you?

An honest and heartfelt form of expression. A release.


What made you start writing poetry?

About a year ago a friend (who is a singer) wanted some lyrics, so I said I’d have a try. Since then, I’ve been getting more and more into poetry as a written form.


Why do you continue to write poetry?

For my personal enjoyment, I like to put my thoughts on paper. It clears my mind and helps sort things into an order.


What is your favorite poem by a renowned poet?

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Are you a published poet? Do you have a published book of your poetry?

I wish! I would absolutely love to get my work published – have already divided poetry into anthologies on my PC!! If anyone out there would like help my dream come true, then please let me know.


What is your honest opinion on your own poetry?

I like my poetry as I feel it is a reflection of who I am. I am very honest in my writing and am pleased that people seem to enjoy reading it. However, even though I appreciate others liking my writing, I actually write for myself and for own reward.


Do you think poetry can only emerge from been gifted with a talent? Can we create a poet for example through writing courses or poetry workshops etc?

I think anyone can write or be a poet, however, I think certain people are >born with gifts. A good poet has a natural way with words in my opinion.



Do you agree that poems can be well designed? In what you think poetry can be designed?

I think poems shouldn’t be restricted to a certain form. Many people talk about set structures for a poem and if a poem doesn’t fit into that pattern, feel it is a bad poem. I actually disagree, I think if the poem conveys its message and moves the reader then the poem has worked. I think sometimes people design a poem, using images and words that they know will move
their reader, in that way poetry can be designed.


In which mood do you feel the urge to write a poem?

Mostly when something is playing on my mind, either in a good or a bad way. I think it is easier to express your feelings when you are down, upset or confused about an issue but simply due to the fact that when you are happy you are caught with expressing that emotion in a different way.

Where do you want to go with your poetry?

I would love to get some work published but realise how hard it is. It is one my ambitions.


Where can find your poetry?

A lot of it is online at Jeremy Blog. Please pop along and any feedback would be great! If you know of a publisher or literary agent, let me know!


What is your purpose of having a poetry blog…is it an aspiration that you maybe one day your poetry will be discovered??

Who isn’t?

Can poetry make a difference in the world?

I think it is really hard for anything to make a difference in the world on a very large scale, however, I do feel that poetry and all other art forms can affect individuals. I feel that is just as significant. Even if only one person reads my poems or sees one of my plays and is moved, then I have done a good job. I think it is a very romantic notion to think we can change the world, only very very special people have that ability, some use it positively others not so.



which of the your poem is your favorite? and why?

That is really hard to say.. I do really like Through The Door as it is about an ex, it sums up exactly how I felt at that moment for me. Twenty-Two is a very accurate representation of who I am and Always Based Myself On Others also is representative of me. I also think Cat and
Mouse would be perfect for a Cat food advert!

What does your family think of your poetry?

They seem to enjoy it. Luckily I have a very supportive family who realise that the trades I wish to enter are difficult and are there to support me all the way. Sometimes they don’t agree with what I have to say or worry if I write something negative, however, this is only a natural reaction.

How important is writing poetry to you? What does writing poetry
mean to you?

I love writing poetry because it helps me keep a clear mind. I constantly get fresh ideas and walk around with a book to write them down. Poetry is merely one of my forms of expression, I only hope I do it well.

Take a look at my poems and short stories: http://jemidgimi.blogspot.com
Laughter
Laugh a minute
That it wasn’t
But the laughter
Show a good time
Was what we had
Maybe we argued
Along the way
But look at us now
Still friends today
Lets remember the fun
That we shared
Remember always
We only argued
Because we cared


Where Next?

This is the beginning
Not the end
Now is the time
You’ll become my friend
What we had before
Wouldn’t have lasted
That is for sure
It was just a fad
A passing phase
It was good fun
Never anything bad
And I am glad of
Those times we had
But now let’s move on
To something else
Forever friends
Could we ask for more?



7 Comments:

Blogger Hopeless Poet said...

Interesting interview for an interesting poet. Thanks Nasra for allowing us to read about Jermey.

10:37 PM

 
Blogger shyloh's poetry said...

WOW, when the song first came on I actualy started crying. How beautiful. A great song for this Great site!!!

And it was an awesome interview.

Aloha, many blessings on you and
this place.

1:52 PM

 
Blogger iamnasra said...

Hopeless Poet
Thank you for taking the time to visit my website and to read about Jermey

Shyloh
aloha to you
Welcome to my blog Im glad you liked my website

7:41 AM

 
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Always enjoy reading your interviews, the hopes and dreams of other poets

10:32 AM

 
Blogger . : A : . said...

Thanks for sharing yet another new poet. Am off to have a look!

4:47 AM

 
Blogger iamnasra said...

Sue
Im glad to see you over here

Thank you for taking the time to read my interviews.

A
You are such god heart..Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog.

7:53 AM

 
Blogger Sairah said...

i love your style of writing....very very nice...keep it up=)

2:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
 
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
September 2005
December 2005
January 2006
June 2006
August 2006
October 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
May 2008
 
AWC Oman