Saturday, September 24, 2005

~Lorena in Every Passing Moment ~


~Lorena in Every Passing Moment ~

Written byNasra Al Adawi

Not many of us would have noticed her as a poet yet I was taken by her intermingling of two forms of creative media; her simple words of poetry and her passion for photography. She plays melodies of words and completes the over-all theme with intensive touches of photography. The first time I visited Lorena’s blog Every Passing Moment, I thought it was all about collective thoughts about her life. I must say I was captured by her photo staring back to me whenever I opened her blog, the glint smile and her eyes made me eager to find out more about her and here is the space I would like to bring her to all of you.

Lorena Jurado was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. She is a poet at heart and a photographer with instincts. She allowed us to get a glimpse of who she is when I inquired who is Lorena? “I am someone who enjoys my solitude and yet constantly fight it so that I won't get too comfortable with it, so I'm also referred to as the "planner" amongst my friends. I see myself as an honest and open-minded person who loves to connect with people. I wish I weren't such a hopeless romantic because I think that contributed to me never haven experienced real love. I would always shy away from it. I still have never said those 3 words to anyone; they are among my most prized possessions. Love is an ongoing battle for me because it scares me yet I know I can't live without it. If you look up the profile of a Pisces you find Me”, she replied with pride.

It takes a special fondness to write as it does with photography. She affirms her passion for both; “Ever since I owned a camera at the age of 11, I made it a priority to photograph all the special people in my life. I like to capture emotion. It's an indescribable feeling but I'm always moved when I run across a moment where people are laughing together and connecting with each other. I'm drawn to their happiness and moved by it. That is what I'd like to capture in pictures. I love reading poetry. Poems give me a new way to look at life and they capture what I feel so amazingly. I love words for the inspiration they bring. They restore my hope.”

Every river has to have a spring where the water runs to be a river, upon this I wondered where the spring of Lorena comes from, where her creativity begins, “I love taking photographs and those that I include in my blog are from projects I have worked on while enrolled in a B&W photography class a couple years back. I graduated with a business degree but I needed a creative outlet and found it here. I have been writing in a journal for many years now, I find it is a good way to sort through my feelings and it’s comforting to let it all out.” She stated and continued to emphasis her point with clear voice, “Photographer Robert Frank once said, "I am always looking outside, trying to look inside." When I look at my photographs I find something inside me that I can empathize with. I try to give voice to the still images to make them my own as well as to facilitate in my own self-discovery. I like adding that extra personal touch.”


Any form of art is considered a self-expression or a voice of inner being. I faced Lorena to confront the reason behind mingling two forms of art. I wondered if words were not sufficient enough to create an image in the reader’s mind and the same with photography, does it need to be complimented with words or a message? She said in that matter, “I feel passionate about both and think they compliment each other well. However, I think they can stand on their own.” She added about her poetic photography, “I would love for people to be able to connect with what I put out there. I crave connections. And if it can be inspiring or make someone feel less alone because we have a shared experience, that's great.” Lorena allows both poetry and photography themes to guide her in creating the full image as I found out from her: “Some of my posts have started out with me writing what I feel at the moment and then looking at my photographs to see if one can help express it or add to it and at other times I have looked at my photographs and got inspired by the image.”

Every artist, photographer and poet seeks themselves in their art. It’s not only a matter of giving to art, for sure it falls that the art gives back in many perspectives without the artist being aware and this is the case with Lorena. “I want to continue to take pictures. My life long goal will be to photograph the people in my life while in very honest, candid moments, smiling. I think that when people smile, in that instant their soul is open and I want to capture that. I have never taken courses in writing or poetry so I would like to do that. Until then, I will continue to blog and share all my experiences in that space. The blog community has been so encouraging and I have met so many wonderful people like you”.

I’m so flattered that I was included and as I was trying to take a role of writer here, the main question remained in my mind as to what sparks poetry in Lorena and according to her, “I'm happy that what I write can be seen by others as poetry. It’s very encouraging and a great honor. Everything I write comes from the heart. I consider myself a very emotional person and I like to write it down. Lately, my own experiences have sparked what I write about.”

Though we have come to an end, the inspiration has continuity. I find that the light of inspiration is ongoing and the flame is shining and Lorena’s gratitude for this flame of creativity is summoned in her final words, “My inspiration lately is from a special person in my life and the feelings/emotions that I've experienced since we've crossed paths. Films, writers, poets, photographs and friends also inspire me. The light is ongoing thanks to the special people in my life and from this overwhelming feeling of gratitude for the simple things in life. I also feed my soul with inspirational quotes everyday and it's very important to have a friend that can make you laugh!”



you were the match

you
were the light
at the end of the dark tunnel
i was hiding in and i crawled towards it
with a hunger i did not know i had
and your words echoed in my mind
and the possibilities quenched my thirst
and i made it out feeling so alive
and didn't find
you.

left with this unfamiliar blinding light
i discovered that this flame was always
in me and you were the match
that helped me light it.



Incite your eyes and soul as you visit ~ Every Passing Moment ~



12 Comments:

Blogger Gel said...

This interview sparkles, Nasra! (I, too, illustrate my poetry with photography and my own paintings, but I removed most of them from my blog in August while redesigning and recoding one blog because my two blogs will be merged into one.)

I look forward to immersing myself into Lorena's blog, as well as reading about more artistic blogs here. I need more hours in the day and night to nourish my insatiable appetite for reading and connecting in these fields. (It is 3:30 a.m. here. Time for me to bid adieu to the indigo moon and luxuriate in magical dreamland.)
SilverMoon aka Green-Eyed Lady www.SilkenThreads18.blog.com

12:30 AM

 
Blogger amiethinggoes said...

i like the way you feature lorena here in your blog. it was really insightful to her character. quite revealing in fact. it's nice that you feature poets here, another way to get to know them. and my heart envy the likes of you that can express moods and emotions with such ease thru poetry...and that is a gift. nice job nasra.

12:29 AM

 
Blogger gP said...

Hi lorena, congratulations for being posted here. You do have a great blog, very inspiring and warm feelings.

Have a million great days,

-gp-

2:40 AM

 
Blogger Faith said...

Nasra, you did justice to Lorena by introducing her like you did.. I enjoy reading her poetry and her pictures..
Congrats Lorena, you deserve this :D

10:41 AM

 
Blogger gulnaz said...

thanks nasra for doing an interview with lorena. lorena you are exactly the sweetheart i thought you would be from your blog! you have got sucn an innocent and fresh soul, i hope you remain just the way you are. its good to know that you have got a special person in your life now, i hope things turn out for the good. i know what you mean about not having said those three words, finding true love is such a difficult thing it seems and more so when you have a heart which is romantic to the core....i can totally relate with that. ....and you look like an angel! :)

11:55 AM

 
Blogger Lorena said...

ghost particle, thanks! i was very happy when she asked me too. i felt special :)

thanks faith :) i'm delighted you read it!

gulnaz, i think you and i have so much in common. all the sentiments you left here for me are echoed back to you. thank you for leaving such sweet words, it really made my day!!

8:46 PM

 
Blogger sirbarrett said...

Nasra, you covered/uncovered this story very professionally and inquisitively. Congrats! I think you asked the right questions that allowed us to see another dimension of this honest poet. She is a sensitive and interestingly complex being, that pisces, -willing to sense what is around her and how that's influenced by her place in it and what she feels inside, -even if the elements are at odds, or if the thoughts come with a hint of pain. It is life-giving to realize there are others that have doubts who are still filled with wonder and no regrets, who are willing to capture moments, and live with the raw experiences of life.

8:51 PM

 
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Great interveiw yet again, it's so interesting to find out how individual creativity blossoms and grows

10:57 AM

 
Blogger Lorena said...

thanks for the sweet words sirbarrett. you really have a way with words! you are very articulate.

silly adventures :: wow, that is so cool that i was the first blog you visited. ani brought us together!! :) you are incredible as well!! thanks for your sweet words.
take care of yourself.

(hope you don't mind nasra :)

3:24 PM

 
Blogger iamnasra said...

Green-eyed lady

Im glad you took a time to read the interview...It took me a bit longer to post it... Lorena was so patient with me

Amie
Wow this such a credit from you ..hugs to you too...I think bringing out some poets or even writers work over here its nice to know them...I enjoy working on this..Its just not easy to put it togather though. It takes length of time to put it all togather

Faith
I miss you being around..I guess you a bit or a lot angry with me as Im such slow in replying back ...

Gulnaz
Im glad you liked the interview..So when are you going to help again..I know Im asking too much LOL


sirbarrett
Wow I have never thoguht I can reach being professional. being English as my second language this really feels good to hear it from u..hugs from me...Thanks for ur support

Sue
You are right sue. Its just its great to know how each of us go into the pahze of writing..I should call it a ritual

Silly Adventure
You make us so sound like we out of moon LOL..Im glad that you are well...keep up the good spirit..its nice to know that there are good people out there who can extend a hand of kindness and love when it is needed..Im sure u will do the same when you know someone else is going through a rough time...Inshallah khair

Lorena
Im glad you had replies as each of them Im sure wanted to hear something...I was very happy when u did that

11:47 AM

 
Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

What a lovely and touching tribute, Nasra. Thank you so much for doing this. You are terrific!

Blessings!

Don

3:25 AM

 
Blogger Roger Stevens said...

Lots here to read and digest. Great blog.

4:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 
 
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
September 2005
December 2005
January 2006
June 2006
August 2006
October 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
October 2007
November 2007
January 2008
May 2008
 
AWC Oman